Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Stepping up for others

About this time a couple of years ago, I was kind of asked/told that I would need to take over the 3rd/4th grade football team. I was helping with the team, as my son Logan was a 3rd grader at the time. I really didn't have much of a background in football outside of watching the Lions every week. I was willing to take over the reigns but I had to be sure that I would have some football smart coaches working with me. So I began to assemble a staff of dads of the kids Logan played with. I got a commitment from a couple of dads and by the time the season rolled around the next summer had a pretty good staff assembled. I only intended to do it for Logan's 4th grade year. I figured I would get one of the dads to take it over. Well that didn't happen. But that was okay. Towards the end of last season I had a conversation with a couple of the dads, one who was already helping me and one who was willing to help the next year. We had a handshake deal to work together this year. What a blessing these two guys have been, as are my other coaches. My total staff is comprised of myself, 5 other dads and a high school student. All of us have commitments beyond our 5th grade boys football team that make it hard to schedule practices and other things. It never ceases to amaze me though how regardless of what is going on we step up for each other. Work schedules have changed for some, last minute needs have arisen, and other unexpected things have come along, but regardless of what it has been I think we have had at least half of the staff at every practice. These guys are great to work with and we all get along and compliment each others strengths and weaknesses. So tonight I just want to say a big thank you to Paul, Phil, Chris, Todd, Tim, and Chris for all you do for me and our players. And I expect all of you back next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment