Sunday, January 19, 2014

3 Hour Delay

So the call came in that we have a three hour delay tomorrow. Three hour delays are weird for the kids I think. We start school and then 25 minutes later we are going to lunch. We will miss music, which my kids love, and the whole day will just be a bit off. Personally though I like the delay because I can work in my room and get a lot done. Tomorrow I think I will be working on report cards before school starts.

Tomorrow holds more significance than a 3-hour delay though. Our country recognizes a man and the impact that he has had on our wonderful country. Martin Luther King Jr. is honored the third Monday of January each year for his contributions to the Civil Rights Movement. His "I have a dream" speech may be one of the most well known speeches. I would have loved to meet this man. His willingness to stand up in such a public way for what he believed in is beyond commendable. The contributions that MLK Jr. and others like Rosa Parks made can never be forgotten. Appropriately and probably not coincidentally, my daughter and I just got through watching the movie The Help tonight. I believe that there is still a lot of racism and hate in America but we are definitely better than we once were and I think we will continue to become more acceptable but I have to admit I am glad that I live in this time period and not in those earlier years. Throughout my life I have met many people from many different ethnic groups  and nationalities. I can't tell you a single one that I hated because of where they were from or what color their skin was. Some of my closest friends in college were African American. I can't imagine living in a time when hate was so prevalent and accepted. I believe that we are all special and that we are all basically the same, the packaging is just a bit different. Scripture tells us to love others as we love ourselves and to love our enemies. That is how I want to live my life. I want to be accepting of others for who they are based solely on who they are. I want to be color blind, I want my kids to be color blind. I have two daughters who are bi-racial. I don't want them to ever have to deal with the hate that MLK Jr. fought so hard to overcome. I hope and pray that his dream will come true one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment